Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the avocado accident

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH DO NOT READ OR LOOK AT PICTURES.

So as a part of being newlyweds we are still trying to get into the groove of who does what, how much is too much, what's the balance between serving and being served. Well...my husband made it clear to me that "Hey would you mind cutting the avocados while I finish getting ready" is totally too much to ask. He seemed to feel that this was such an unfair favor that he stabbed himself in the hand to get out of it!!!

So here's the story: We are starting to get in the habit of buying healthier food and are really enjoying buying fresh produce and meat from Central Market. I am loving trying out new recipes and trying to learn my way around the kitchen a little better. We had a marathon last week of trying to finish all of the produce and meat so that none of it went bad and we didn't have to freeze anything. We cooked extra chicken on Friday night to make chicken sandwiches on Saturday for lunch. I was finishing up getting ready and we were going to eat and then head to Hobby Lobby, Pottery Barn, and Crate and Barrel to get a few things to spruce up our apartment. While in the bathroom I heard Ryan start yelling and I ran in the kitchen to find blood EVERYWHERE in the sink. There was so much blood I couldn't even tell where he had been cut or how badly. He was trying to get the seed out of the avocado when the knife slipped, cut the seed in half (which neither of us knew was even possible), slipped through and stabbed him in the palm near his thumb.


I immediately start bawling (not cool at all). Ryan was freaking out until he realized that I was freaking out and then he totally kept his cool. He asked me to get him a towel to wrap his hand in so I grabbed the first one in sight which happened to be a brand new dish towel. He yelled "not a new towel whit....get an old one!!!!" My bad. So I ran and grabbed another one. I was trying to get ahold of my mom because I was freaking out and she is my go to girl. She wasn't answering so I called Urgent Care to see if they did stitches so that we didn't have to go to the emergency room. They did. Success. Meanwhile Ryan is holding his hand with the towel while I am running around like a mad woman trying to get dressed and stop crying. When we got to Urgent Care they were awesome. They took him straight back and started prepping him for stitches. I took care of all of the administrative stuff/started breathing normally.


Poor Ryan couldn't get comfortable because if he sat up he felt like he was going to pass out because of the blood loss and if he laid down his hand would fall asleep. He was so awesome though. We had a great PA (it was the same one who told Ryan he had pneumonia back in February). She did a great job getting him stitched up...5 stitches...1.5 inches wide.


She was concerned because of how deep the cut was that he had possibly hit a bone or torn a tendon. The x-ray showed that there was no bone damage, but they gave him a sweet splint from his finger tips almost to his elbow in order to protect it in case there was tendon damage. His follow up appointment yesterday revealed that there was no damage, so I guess you could say he had good aim. Athlete.


We are so thankful that there was no serious damage to his hand outside of the pain associated with the stab. I want to give a shoutout to my husband for being amazing and not getting a single drop of blood anywhere besides the sink where he was cutting...not even on his clothes. Again...athlete. We decide to remedy the situation...we got an avocado peeler later that evening.


We dealt with a similar tragedy back in January when he fell down the stairs and broke his hand. I can't decide if these dramatic events keep happening because #1 he doesn't want to do P90X with me (both of these accidents have happened within a week of getting serious about working out) #2 he really IS that accident prone or #3 he REALLY likes the pain meds. I guess only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Ryan! Stay away from P90X it is the real killer!

    ReplyDelete